Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What to do with Fred

Using my sourdough every few weeks is difficult to remember to do sometimes. Typically I open the fridge and see the canister labelled Fred, and go "oh no! I forgot to use it this week"...and yet somehow my sourdough is surviving. I attribute it to the dark ceramic canister and the fact that it eventually does get used.

My standby is cinnamon rolls, which don't need to rise and can be baked immediately. But I was getting tired of them, and don't have the patience to make bread which requires rising the loaves in a warm place. This old farmhouse is so drafty there are no "warm draft free" places for the bread to rise. Heck I would have more luck putting the loaves in the sheep barn.

So I found this recipe on line, and I was quite pleased with it. It produced a moist light coffee cake.

Ingredients:


•***Streusel Topping***

•1/2 c. flour
•1/4 c. sugar
•1/8 tsp. cinnamon
•1/4 c. butter

•***Cake***

•1 cup fed sourdough starter
•1/3 c. oil
•1 egg
•1 c. flour
•3/4 c. sugar
•1/2 tsp. salt
•1 tsp. baking soda
•1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preparation:

Mix the streusel topping first by combining flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl, then rubbing the cold butter in with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly and sticks together if you press it between your fingers. You may use a mixer, if you wish.
Set crumbs aside.
To make the cake, place the sourdough starter in a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
Pour the batter into a buttered and floured, 8 or 9 inch square pan or an 8 inch, round, layer cake pan. Smooth top and sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the batter.
Let the cake rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place. What I did was turn the oven on low as I was preparing the cake batter, and turned it off after about 5 minutes. I then put it inside the warm oven.
Bake at 375°F for about 35 minutes, or until cake is set and the sides begin to pull away from the pan.
Remove, cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment